
Obviously, I've neglected the blog for a while... The good news for other parents just starting out is that at some point, your child's hearing loss and microtia/atresia and all of the medical "stuff" becomes another part of your life, not the central focus. Not that it loses importance, but you eventually get to the point where you take it in stride and it isn't all-consuming. Or at least, it has been that way for me.
Another reason I kind of "shelved" the blog was that dealing with the insurance issues was just very tiring. At one point, we were presented with a bill for $5,135, and I wasn't sure if I should just give in and pay it. It was stressful, and I felt like maybe I was wrong all this time. But to me, it seemed very clear - the insurance company follows Medicare guidelines, Medicare classified the Baha as a prosthetic, and my insurance covers prosthetics. However, I did feel that little seed of self-doubt. Ultimately, after du Pont resubmitted the bill to the insurance with the durable medical equipment code of L8691, Aetna paid for the Baha in November. Success!!!
Shae had been given a Baha Divino until Cochlear got the software issues resolved with its new Baha BP100 (now called the Baha 3). Shae received the Baha 3 on Valentine's Day. We get to keep the Divino as a back-up (so we got two Bahas out of the deal). The Baha 3 gives better sound quality, has LED indicator lights, and - Shae's favorite feature - covers that come in a rainbow of colors. The covers are pricey, but Miss Rebecca got us pink ones through insurance (shown in the picture accompanying this post.) They also come with stickers to customize the Baha, so Shae is loving it!
Now that we are 9 months out from Shae's reconstructive surgery, I am still very pleased with the results and glad we went the route we did. I need to schedule a follow-up with the plastic surgeon, and I think he's going to want to work a little more on the top of the ear. But I'm in no rush to do so, I think it's fine the way it is and I would prefer to let her pursue any additional surgeries to her outer ear herself when she is older.
Shae and Melinda and Family,
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for updating all of us and congratulations on fighting for a insurance covered BAHA. The BP100 is a great BAHA to have. We like the indicator lights too. This is a breadth of fresh air to know that appeals can work out in the end. Congrats again and so happy Shae received such a nice Valentine's Day present :-) Melissa and Ally
Congratulations for perseverance and the payoff. I am happy for Shae and her wonderful family! xo
ReplyDelete