

Shae got her BAHA today. Talk about an amazing experience. I'm still kind of in shock about the whole thing.
She had a two audiologist hearing test today with our favorite audiologist, Miss Rebecca, and a new friend, Miss Ashleigh. Both were amazing. I can't say enough about how much of a difference Miss Rebecca has made with Shae. During one of the tests, they masked the hearing in her hearing ear. Steve and I were floored at how Shae heard NOTHING with only her right ear. Then they put the BAHA on her while the good ear was masked. She immediately responded to Miss Ashleigh's voice and could even tell where the sound was coming from. More than anything else, it proved to Steve and I that Shae needs this hearing aid. (And added to my maternal guilt that I wasn't able to get her one sooner. But anyway, you do what you can. She has one now, and that's a good thing.)
The only problem so far is that if you cover the BAHA with your hand, it makes this screechy, nails-on-a-chalkboard feedback sound. To anyone else, it would be horribly annoying. Shae loves it. She thinks it's the funniest thing ever, so she makes the aid screech and then giggles like mad. Which is adorable, but not the desired result.
We had a little bit of an adjustment period where she didn't want to wear it because it wasn't pink and purple. But as soon as we got home, I whipped up a purple princess headband cover with silver glitter thread and pink crowns and now she is watching Caillou and wearing her new Magic Headband that helps her hear.
With both ears. Awesome.
No comments:
Post a Comment