Monday, June 15, 2009

Lots to think about...

Shae and I saw the local craniofacial plastic surgeon today, and now we have lots to think about! Dr. N said that he believes that Shae does not need a full microtia reconstruction. He feels that he can use her existing cartilage to bring the top half of her ear up to a more normal position. This is exactly what I was hoping to hear, as I am still so afraid of both the Medpor and ribgraft techniques for reconstruction. Since Shae does have a significant amount of tissue, I have always hoped that we could go a less invasive route, even if the results are not perfect. BUT...(and it's a big one)...I have heard so many horror stories of people who have used local surgeons and had awful results. But Shae's microtia isn't typical, and I really feel comfortable with Dr. N's skills as a surgeon. I'm going to have to pray and think about this, and hope that Steve and I make the right choice for our daughter.

At this point, we are to return to Dr. N next April, at which time he will likely schedule surgery for summer 2010. I am so afraid to believe that this is our answer, because it seems too good to be true.

No comments:

Post a Comment